What is Magick?
"Magic is the Highest, most Absolute, and most Divine Knowledge of Natural Philosophy, advanced in its works and wonderful operations by a right understanding of the inward and occult virtue of things; so that true Agents being applied to proper Patients, strange and admirable effects will thereby be produced. Whence magicians are profound and diligent searchers into Nature; they, because of their skill, know how to anticipate an effect, the which to the vulgar shall seem to be a miracle." - The Goetia of the Lemegeton of King Solomon
- Aleister Crowley had these things to say in Magick Book 4 :Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will.
* Every intentional act is a Magickal act.
* Magick is the Science of understanding oneself and one's conditions. It is the Art of applying that understanding in action.
Crowley's definitions seem to be generally accepted throughout the occult community but every practitioner will have their own interpretation of what Magick "is" or what it seems to be. It is up to YOU to find your own personal definition of what magick is and what it can do in relation to your worldview.
Fears and Doubts:
In Star Wars Yoda says "Do or do not. There is no try." This sums it up for fears and doubts. A person that is performing magick must find a way to wipe his or her doubts away so they may perform even the simplest of rituals. So, as you research, as you learn; listen and pay careful attention to what is being taught. Look for examples from others to help you alleviate any and all reservations about weather or not magick is real. Magic IS real, but you must KNOW that it is.
If your mind has doubt then even the simplest candle ritual will undoubtedly fail to manifest any true result.
The 3 points of Knowing the magic:
- Intent:Intent in most cases is on a case by case basis, and can either come easy to the magickian or come with great effort. Should the need arise, and you are inspired you will know that you will have enough intent to accomplish anything within the boundaries of magick and possibly beyond. This simple truth stands for even the weakest and unknowing of man.
- Will:Learning to focus that intent is really where the practice comes in, as well as the book knowledge. Without a means to focus intent you'll have nothing but wants and desires. It goes a bit beyond "practice makes perfect" as by performing rituals multiple times, by reading as much about magick as possible one will learn to focus their intent to a higher degree. Just going though the movements of a ritual will not give one the Will or Intent as magick is more then just the physical aspect of the spell, it is a mental exercise of desire and focus.
- Faith:You must believe, in yourself, or in your gods, you must KNOW yourself. If you have doubts, those doubts will cloud not only your Focus of Will, but also your intent. Your rituals are bound to fail if you do not believe they will work when you begin them. Your faith need not be in the gods, as proven by many a Satanist, Atheist, and Humanist practitioner...but faith in SOMETHING must be had. I believe that you can have the lowest self-esteem in the world, but if your Intent, your Will, and your Faith in your god(ess) is strong enough you *WILL* succeed...but you MUST leave all doubt behind!
Back to Main